Feb 6, 2011

My day as a brewer

Just the other day, I had the opportunity to volunteer with a small micro brewery in the area. I won't say which one, but needless to say, it's a very small brewery. Regardless, this was a unique experience.

If you've never done a batch of homebrew before, brewing for a brewery is very unique. I never knew what the life of a brewer was like until I tried it. There was quite a bit to do: mash, sanitize, bottle, label, squeegee, etc... It was never ending.

I had a chance to brew my first all grain batch with this brewery as well. I had never mashed in, or sparged before, but it seemed so easy. I had a chance to stir the mash in order to make sure the grains were converting in to sugars. This was an awesome feeling.

Sure, working in a brewery can be hard work, there's bottling to do, which can get a little monotones, and cleaning, etc.... but in reality, you are making a product that people love, and that's what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment