Nov 4, 2010

Author/ Brewers Dinner - a review

Tonight was the Brewer's/ Author's dinner for Christian Moerlein. This event was 2 of 6 total Brewer Dinner's that will be held to celebrate Christian Moerlein, Over the Rhine, and Mike Morgan's new Book, "Over the Rhine: When beer Was King".

This event was a very well done event. Upon arriving, I took my seat at a table and began to talk to my friends about beer. We received a pleasant treat as we found out that Little King's Cream Ale was a pre-event taster, and boy was it delicioud. Once 7:00pm rolled around, the event began. Greg Hardman, CEO of Christian Moerlein began to talk about the history of how he acquired the Little King's Brand, a very interesting story. The staff at the Pub of Crestview began to bring out the appetized: Jerk Shrimp and Northern Liberties IPA. Boy, was this appetizer delicious. The shrimp was good and the IPA matched up nicely.

The second course was a salad with mandarin oranges paired with Christian Moerlein Lager House. The salad was sweet, but tasty. I am not much for mandarin oranges, but it paired well with the Helles. I enjoyed this dish.

The 3rd dish was a Mediterranean Slider with red peppers. I'll be honest, I enjoyed the think fries more than I enjoyed the sandwich. (I have no idea what the fries were made of, but they were delicious) The burger was made with goat cheese and red peppers and was only alright. This dish was paired with the Hudepohl Amber Lager. It was a good pairing.

The 4th Dish was fish and chips. I must confess, I may have ruined my palate on this one as I tend to only eat fish n chips with malt vinegar; tonight was no exception. The beer pairing was Moerlein's OTR which I have always enjoyed. Despite the vinegar, the beer paired nicely with the meal.

The final dish of the evening was a Jamaican cheesecake; bananas, banana liquor, and oreo crust made this delicious. The pairing was the Barbarosa. I'll be honest, I didn't think the pairing was all to good, but the cheesecake was delicious by itself as was the beer.

All in all, I had a great time. Both Greg Hardmann and Mike Morgan shared some great stories about Moerlein and the history of Cincinnati. There was still 4 of these dinner's left and I would recommend everyone go to one of them. Greg did take some time to visit each table and thank everyone who showed up and make sure they had a great time. I was very impressed by this event. Thanks to Christian Moerlein and Greg Hardman for a job well done. I look forward to future events!

I will follow up with pictures later.

2 comments:

  1. very good summary, and that was a great dinner. this morning i'm craving some more of that jerk shrimp!

    - jason taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, great summary! :) The dinner was tasty...despite the overabundance of cheese. :)

    -Emily Cullen

    ReplyDelete